What is IVA debt advice?
An Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) is an agreement between you and your creditors whereby you make funds available for distribution between the creditors bound by the agreement. This usually involves making one monthly payment out of your income for a set period of time and, if you have any assets such as equity in your property, endowment policies etc you may have to make some of this available to creditors as well.
Can I apply for an IVA debt advice?
If you are unable to pay your debts as they fall due you may apply for an IVA. This applies even if you have assets that, if sold, would cover your debts. If you are already subject to a Bankruptcy Order you may still apply. If the arrangement is approved, your Bankruptcy is annulled.
What are the benefits of IVA debt advice?
- Interest and charges on your debts are frozen
- Creditors stop ringing and writing to you - they contact the Supervisor of the IVA
- An IVA gives you protection from creditors by way of a court order
- Once your obligations under the IVA are fulfilled, your debts are then written off
- You potentially avoid bankruptcy
- Your credit rating is not as seriously affected as in bankruptcy
- You can continue to trade